Our aims are:
- To promote, publicise and encourage community involvement to improve railway stations by holding an annual competition, and by other means, to find the Best Kept Station in Cheshire and other examples of good practice
- To hold an annual event to support this aim by recognising and publicising such activities by giving Awards and to promote these stations and the railway industry in Cheshire.
- To encourage community involvement and recognition of the significance of their railway stations, particularly by young persons, through conservation, environmental projects and associated education, artworks, at the stations and their environs.
- To work in partnership with the railway industry, Local Authorities, Parish and Town Councils and other relevant stakeholders to achieve these aims.
The focal point of our work is the Annual Awards Evening, held in January to honour the work of community and adoption groups during the previous year. Stations are assessed in two ways:
We have a team of judges who visit stations during the year, primarily in the Spring and Summer. These come from community organisations that have included Rotary Clubs and Womens’ Institutes who provide a ‘non-railway’ perspective such as an infrequent passenger would have when visiting a station. However, for the large stations’ category we use members of TravelWatch NorthWest who can provide expertise on what principal railway stations should be providing.
Not all the work that takes place at a station can be seen by a visit, so for a number of Awards, we invite community and adoption groups to nominate themselves for several categories, providing up to 800 words and up to 8 images of their activity. For the 2017 Awards, we are inviting nominations for the following categories:
- The AcoRP Award for Community Involvement
- The Network Rail Award for Art Projects
- The Youth Challenge Award for involving children and young people
- The Diversity Award for involving people with different cultures, abilities and backgrounds
Nominations should be received by 1st September and cover activities over the previous 12 months.